Emergency Exit Row Seating Qualifications
When you are seated in an exit row, you may be called upon to open the exit and
assist other passengers in exiting the aircraft if a crew member is unavailable to do so.
By law, passengers seated in the exit row may not fall into any of the following categories:
- You lack sufficient mobility, strength or dexterity in both arms and hands, and both legs to:
- reach upward, sideways, and downward to the location of emergency exit and exit slide operating mechanisms;
- grasp and push, pull, turn, or otherwise manipulate those mechanisms;
- push, shove, pull, or otherwise open emergency exits;
- lift out, hold, deposit on nearby seats, or maneuver over the seatbacks to the next row, objects the size and weight of over-wing exit doors;
- remove obstructions similar to size and weight of over-wing exit doors, all while maintaining balance;
- exit expeditiously, stabilize the escape slide after deployment, and assist those getting off the slide.
- You lack the ability to read and understand instructions related to emergency evacuation provided
by Shared Services Aviation in printed or graphic form or the ability to understand oral crewmember commands.
- You lack sufficient visual capacity to perform one or more of the applicable functions without
the assistance of visual aids beyond contact lenses or eyeglasses.
- You lack sufficient aural capacity to hear and understand instructions shouted by flight attendants,
without assistance beyond a hearing aid.
- You lack the ability to adequately impart information orally to other passengers.
- You have a condition that might prevent you from performing these functions or a condition that
might cause you to suffer bodily harm while performing these functions.
- You do not wish to perform these instructions.
- You are less than 15 years of age or lack the capacity to perform one or more of the applicable
functions without the assistance of an adult parent, adult relative, or adult companion.
- You have a responsibility, for example, you are traveling with a child under 15 years old,
unless a second parent is seated elsewhere with the child.
If you fall into any of these categories, you cannot sit in an exit row.
Please ask a Flight Attendant to move you to a non-exit row seat if you fall into any of the categories above.